Vengurla, being a safe and natural port, commercial centre was initially established during 1665 by Dutch traders and subsequently by British rulers. Signs of Dutch - British rulers are present in the city : Dutch Wakhar (Godown), St. Lukes Hospital, Crowferd Market etc. Planned city having road & drainage system, market, commercial and office buildings, Municipal Council, Hospitals, Parks etc. was developed by British rulers. The 130-year-old Vengurla Municipal Council is one of the oldest Municipal Council in Maharashtra State.